Skip to main content

Peach Clafoutis - Julia Child



***Now, you didn't really think that I would let Julia's birthday go by without sharing a new recipe by Julia with you, right?  I've been curious about what a classic French clafoutis (pronounced Kla-foo-TEE) tasted like for a while now.  They always looked beautiful in the photos that I saw, and I wondered if they tasted as good as they looked.  This dessert has a luxurious custardy filling and tastes perfectly french! 

I knew that if I was going to make a clafoutis, it would be a crime not to begin with Julia's recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume I.  The recipe sounded incredibly simple, which it ultimately was.

Traditionally, a clafoutis is made with cherries, so that is how Julia presents this recipe in her cookbook.  Being the southern girl that I am, I decided to substitute the cherries with the freshest, most gorgeous Clanton peaches.  They were superb!  Feel free to subsitute about 3 cups of any fruit that you like.  The only other addition that I made was the cardamom.  There's just something about cardamom in fruity, pastry-like desserts that I adore.  I've included my changes in purple, below.

I did make one big mistake, though...I was in such a hurry that I forgot to sprinkle the second 1/3 cup sugar over the fruit, before pouring the rest of the batter into the pan.  As a result, the finished dessert wasn't quite as sweet as it should be, however, I'm sure my hips will thank me for that mistake later!

Bon Appetit!***


Clafoutis
Source:  Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Vol. I; by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, and Simone Beck

serves 6-8


Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
3 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup flour
3 ripe peaches, sliced
1 tsp. ground cardamom
powdered sugar, for garnish

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a blender blend the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, cardamom, salt and flour. Pour a 1/4 inch layer of the batter in a buttered 7 or 8 cup lightly buttered fireproof baking dish. Place in the oven until a film of batter sets in the pan (about 2-3 minutes).

Remove from the heat and spread the peaches over the batter. Sprinkle on the remaining 1/3 cup of granulated sugar. Pour on the rest of the batter.

Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes to an hour. The clafouti is done when puffed and brown and and a knife plunged in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, serve warm.

Comments

MaryMoh said…
Mmmm...looks very delicious. Peach is in season now....big and sweet. I must try this. Thanks very much for sharing. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com
Lidia said…
Yammy......I want to try this recipe, it looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing!
I had no idea that a clafouti was so easy !
Thank you, I am definitely going to try to make this. soon.
Lisar said…
This looks really good. I am going to try and make this tomorrow.
Anonymous said…
Hi, your recipe instructs to blend sugar, but later it says to sprinkle sugar over peaches....I am almost to point of adding peaches to pan....guess I will sprinkle a little sugar over the peaches. Looking forward to this dessert.
Celeste said…
Anonymous - You are correct! I've corrected the recipe...I'm so sorry about that. It should have been 2/3 cup sugar, divided. How did your clafouti turn out?
Anonymous said…
I made this last night and it was divine. I still am a bit confused about the sugar. One cup total? or 2/3 cup total? The recipe has 2/3 cup divided and then another 1/3 cup later on. I used 1/3 cup on the fruit, 1/3 cup in the batter and then the remaining 1/3 cup to dust the buttered dish before putting the batter in and the remainder sprinkled on top for browning. SO GOOD!!
Anonymous said…
My name is Celeste as well....making your peach clafouti today....can't wait!
Unknown said…
Should the peaches be peeled, who has and hasn't?
Unknown said…
Can someone who knows this recipe please clarify the sugar problem? I am pretty sure it isn’t 2/3 cup sugar divided plus another 1/3 cup sugar. Don’t want to try the recipe till I know.
Unknown said…
Mine is in the oven! Had peaches that were perfectly ripe...just waiting for a clafoutis, with vanilla ice cream, of course.
Laure Dunne said…
I’m not sure if I made a mistake somehow. The “batter” was SO thin! I double checked, and I’m sure I correctly followed the recipe. The 1/4” of batter didn’t really set after 4 minutes. The clafoutis is in the oven. Will wait and see.
Laure Dunne said…
Baked this for an hour ten minutes. It’s just mushy. Very brown, but more like a custard that won’t set. Tasty and sweet, but not something I would serve to family or friends.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out