Skip to main content

Beef, Shiitake & Snow Pea Stir-Fry with Coconut Rice


***This recipe from the Bon Appetit magazine test kitchens is packed with delicious flavors.  And the best part?  It's actually a quick and easy meal that's perfect for busy weeknights.  That might come as a surprise, but trust me...It comes together in a flash!

I was so happy when I came across this recipe...I was in search of a yummy dinner that was decidedly different.  It seemed like the perfect thing to liven up my usual dinner go-to meals.  Sirloin steak, fresh ginger, snow peas, green onions and cilantro are the stars of this dish.  They work together to create a scrumptious meal that is satisfying and fresh-tasting at the same time.

I paired the stir-fry with one of my favorites - Coconut Rice.  I've included a simple recipe for it by Sandra Lee below.  It was the perfect companion to the stir-fry.  I think you'll really enjoy this recipe!

Bon appetit!***

Beef, Shiitake, and Snow Pea Stir-Fry
4 servings
PREP: 30 minutes TOTAL: 30 minutes
Source:  Bon Appetit magazine; October 2010 Ingredients:
1 1-pound top sirloin steak, cut into 2-inch-long, 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
12 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, thickly sliced
8 ounces snow peas
1 bunch green onions, sliced, divided
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, divided
5 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder


Preparation:
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and mushrooms; stir-fry until mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add beef to skillet; stir-fry until beef browns but is still pink in center, about 1 minute. Add snow peas, half of green onions, and half of cilantro; stir-fry 1 minute. Stir in hoisin, chili-garlic sauce, and five-spice powder; sauté until peas are crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with remaining green onions and cilantro.

Coconut Rice
Source:  Sandra Lee

Ingredients:

2 cups jasmine rice
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon kosher salt


Directions:
Rinse and drain rice in cold water. Place in a saucepan with water, coconut milk, and salt. Place the pot over high heat and, bring the liquid to a boil. Stir and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cover the pot tightly with the lid. Continue cooking for 15 minutes.


Remove the pot from the heat and let stand 10 minutes, covered. Fluff with fork and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out