Skip to main content

Classic Cornbread Dressing - Southern Living


This classic recipe for Cornbread Dressing hits all the right marks.  It's pretty perfect in every way.  This dish is described as "deliciously moist and perfectly seasoned" on the myrecipes.com website, which are the perfect words.

Of course, Cornbread Dressing from scratch takes a little more time and effort to make, but in my experience it is well worth it...especially at Thanksgiving!  Brad looks forward to this dressing all year long!

The biggest change that I made to the recipe below is the addition of mild sausage.  I simply cooked a package of mild country sausage and added it to the vegetable mixture, before mixing everything together.  I took elements from my Mom's Cornbread Dressing recipe and combined them with this recipe from Southern Living.

I always put this dressing together the night before Thanksgiving and chill it in the refrigerator overnight (without baking).  That way, all you have to do is pop it in the oven and cook it for about 35 - 40 minutes on Thanksgiving day!

Bon Appetit, my friends!

Cornbread Dressing
Adapted from:  Southern Living magazine; November 2002

Yield: Makes 16 to 18 servings

Ingredients

  • 1  cup  butter or margarine, divided
  • 3  cups  white cornmeal
  • 1  cup  all-purpose flour
  • 2  tablespoons  sugar
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1 1/2  teaspoons  salt
  • 1  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 7  large eggs, divided
  • 3  cups  buttermilk
  • 4 slices sourdough bread, torn into pieces
  • 1/4 lb. saltine crackers, crushed into small pieces
  • 2  medium onions, diced (2 cups)
  • 1  large bunch celery, diced (3 cups)
  • 1/2  cup  finely chopped fresh sage*
  • 48 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1  tablespoon  pepper
  • 1 lb mild country sausage, cooked (optional)

Preparation

Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13- x 9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425° for 4 minutes.

Combine cornmeal and next 5 ingredients; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk.

Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan.

Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool.

Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; set aside.

Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute until tender. Stir in sage, and saute 1 more minute.

Stir vegetables, sausage, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, sourdough bread pieces, cracker pieces, and pepper into cornbread mixture (There are no better tools than your hands to properly mix the dressing at this stage!); pour evenly into 2 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dishes. Cover and chill 8 hours.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

*1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage may be substituted for fresh sage.

Andouille Sausage, Apple, and Pecan Dressing: Brown 3/4 pound diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium heat; drain. Add sausage; 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped; and 2 cups chopped toasted pecans to dressing. Proceed as directed, baking 40 to 45 minutes or until done.

Pin It

Comments

Terri said…
Can this be frozen?
Celeste said…
Terri - Yes, it certainly can. I would cover it well with aluminum foil before freezing. When ready to cook, defrost and bake as usual.
Lisa B. said…
Maybe a silly question but I don't want to take any chances... Is white cornmeal mix the same thing as the white cornmeal called for in this recipe?
Anonymous said…
I am looking for a recipe that I can substitute chicken broth as someone coming is allergic to chicken. Would homemade pork broth or vegetable both be ok to use?
Unknown said…
Turkey broth is just as good.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out