Skip to main content

Coconut-Chocolate Chip Cookies



Tonight, I write this post with a very heavy heart.  There's a light rain falling outside, which unfortunately matches the sad mood around here.  It's been about a week since my last post, and I apologize for that.  The truth is, I just honestly haven't been up to writing this week.

Those of you who have experienced the joy that a dog can bring into your life will understand better than most.  On Valentine's Day, my sweetheart of a cocker spaniel, Lady, passed away after 13 fun-filled years right by my side.  She was the sweetest dog I've ever known, and I sure do miss that little pup so much.  She battled a cancerous tumor on her tummy for quite a while, and she fought it until the very end.  It was just her time, I guess.

This quote by Anatole France says it best:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."

I remember when I first got Lady...It was Christmas of 1998.  That year, I had asked for a cocker spaniel.  On Christmas morning, while I didn't open a box with a puppy inside, I did receive some cash that I could do whatever I wanted with.  We spent the holiday in the Great Smoky Mountains that year, and one place we always visited was The Apple Barn.  A few days after Christmas, I was walking up to the front entrance of The Apple Barn, when what did I see??  A sign posted on the door announcing that they had a new litter of cocker spaniel puppies for sale!  It was meant to be!  I looked at my mom and dad with a glimmer in my eye, and they instantly knew.

I rushed through the door, and asked the first Apple Barn employee I saw where I might find these painfully adorable little puppies.  Let's just say that it was love at first sight, and I very happily left that day with no Christmas money, but with my new floppy-eared best friend.  We've been inseparable ever since.  

Sometimes, baking is like therapy for me.  I can put on my apron, put some ingredients into the bowl of my stand-mixer, whip up something sweet, and it always makes me feel better.  So what did I do this past week?  I baked these amazing Coconut-Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They were easy, delicious, and contained chocolate...Just what I needed.  

You may have noticed that I love combining chocolate and coconut every chance I get.  It's my favorite sweet flavor combo, so it was an easy decision to make.  I was incredibly happy with the way these cookies came out.  They were a comforting and delicious dessert during a very difficult time.  The coconut flavors are perfectly complemented by the chocolate, and quite frankly, this is probably my new favorite cookie recipe. 

So, here's to Lady.  I sure do miss my sweet girl dearly.

Bon Appetit, my friends.




Coconut-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temp
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1 tsp. coconut extract
10 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
5 oz. bittersweet chocolate morsels
1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with either parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.

Combine the flour and baking soda in a medium bowl and whisk together.  Set to the side.

In the bowl of a mixer with the paddle attachment, add the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar.  Cream these ingredients on medium speed until they are nice and fluffy.  Add the salt, egg and coconut extract.  Mix on low speed until well combined.

Add the flour mixture to the mixer bowl, and mix on medium speed just until blended...Don't over-mix!

Next, add the semisweet and bittersweet chocolates, along with the shredded coconut to the cookie dough.  Stir together well.

Using an ice cream scoop or large spoon, scoop out the dough and form into uniform balls.  Place the balls of cookie dough on the baking sheet, making sure not to crowd the cookies.

Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven, and bake the cookies for 13-14 minutes, or until they are a nice golden brown around the edges.

Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack.  They are best a little warm, right out of the oven!

Repeat the baking process with the remaining cookie dough, until it's all gone.

***********

Checking out her new little sis...

 Who eventually wasn't so "little" anymore  :)
 


Comments

Anonymous said…
So sorry for your loss. I know exactly what you're going through! Still missing our baby girl. She was a spaniel/retriever mix - a comfort retriever, and she surely was! It's been more than a year and I STILL have her as the wallpaper on my computer LOL. Sending virtual hugs your way!

As for the cookie recipe, it sounds delish. I love that you included the extract as well as the coconut. I never think to do that. Beautiful pics. :)
Celeste said…
Chris - Thanks so much!
I am so sorry for your loss!! Doggies are so special!
Unknown said…
Celeste, i am truly sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is so heart breaking, and you are in my prayers. Just remember, you shall be reunited with your puppy dog one day. My in laws recently lost their corgi, Foxy. My mother in law says that sometimes she can still feel Foxy's prescence....so, they don't ever really leave us, they just leave in the physical form. :)
#1SAHM said…
I grew up with a cocker spaniel (she looked similar to Lady), it was heart breaking when she passed on. They're wonderful dogs. I'm so sorry for your loss. ((bigs hugs))
Julie said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. Special loved ones are with us even after they're gone. I've felt that true with furry loved ones as well.
Michelle said…
Celeste! I am so sorry to read about your loss. The loss of anyone's pet instantly brings me to tears. But as the saying goes isn't better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all? She was worth it, as hard as it probably seems right now.
And I have a bag of coconut sitting on my counter right now. Thanks for the idea.
Celeste said…
Thank you all so much for your kind messages. They mean a lot and helped get a smile back on my face.
Erin said…
I know losing a pet can be so heartbreaking. They become a such a part of your family. I'm so sorry for your loss!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out