Skip to main content

Baked Ziti with Turkey, Mushrooms & Bell Pepper



Is a big plate of hearty, delicious pasta ever a bad thing?  

I think not! 

While shopping the aisles the other day at the grocery store, Brad said, "Baked Ziti sure would be good for dinner soon."  Baked Ziti?  That DID sound yummy.  And wouldn't you know it...We made our way to the pasta aisle and the boxes of Ziti Rigati were buy one get one free.  It was pasta-fate...If there is such a thing.

To make the dish a little healthier, we decided ground turkey would be a good substitute for ground beef.  I love cooking with ground turkey lately.  It tastes great and is indeed a much healthier option.  That's a no-brainer, if you ask me.

This dish comes together in no time.  I added bell pepper, onion and mushrooms to the turkey as it cooked.  These veggies added a nice, fresh flavor.  As for the marinara sauce, just use your favorite brand.  I happened to buy Barilla.  Or, if you're feeling extra ambitious, you can even make your own.

Baked Ziti is wonderful because it's great the next night for left-overs.  I simply add a few tablespoons of water to a large saucepan, add however much pasta I need, and slowly reheat, with the lid on and stirring often.  I hear it also freezes well, too.

Bon Appetit!

Before going into the oven...

Yum!


Baked Ziti with Turkey, Mushrooms & Bell Pepper
Source:  My original recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb. ziti rigati pasta
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp. garlic powder
24 oz. jar marinara sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Salt & Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt generously, and drizzle with 1 tbsp of the olive oil.  Add the pasta, reducing the heat to medium-high and cook until al dente, tender but still slightly firm. Drain.

Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil into the bottom of a second large pot or dutch oven.  Add the turkey and cook for 5 minutes.  Next, add the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms and garlic powder.  Continue to cook, stirring often, until turkey is cooked through.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Add the marinara sauce to the turkey mixture and stir well.  Next, add the pasta to the sauce and stir once more until well combined.

Transfer the pasta to a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish.  Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the top.  Cover and bake for 25 minutes.  Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes, or until lightly browned and hot.

Serve immediately and enjoy!

Pin It

Comments

It is 11 am and I am wishing I had a plate full of this right here right now :)

I will definitely try to make this .. besitos, C

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out