Skip to main content

A Weekend at Pursell Farms - A Culinary Treasure




Three things that I love are:

1)  Fun & relaxing weekend getaways
2)  Awesome food
3)  Beautiful surroundings

This past weekend was filled with all three of these things during our stay at Pursell Farms in Sylacauga, AL.  Brad and I loaded Ava up in the car and made the one hour journey to the countryside, where we had such a wonderful time.  And OH, the food!  It was incredible.  I just can't help but share the details with you all.

The trek led us out of the city, only about an hour away.  Upon arriving, we were greeted by a pretty gate, with the Pursell Farms sign beckoning us in.  A long, winding road led us through the beautiful property, with trickling streams, open fields, shaded woods, and views of the golf course along the way.  A sense of calm came over me...a relaxing weekend on the farm was just what I needed.  I breathed in the fresh air and got excited about the events of the weekend to come.

We arrived at Parker Lodge and before I was even able to put my hand on the door knob, it opened, and I was greeted by name and welcomed inside.  What a nice touch!  The entire weekend, the Pursell Farms staff was incredible.  They truly made us feel like family, from the moment we arrived.  We couldn't have asked for better service.

Next, we were shown to our room, which was luxurious and beautiful, but not in an over-the-top sort of way.  I didn't feel like we were in a hotel room, instead, it felt like we were a guest in someone's home.  It was comfortable, perfect and no detail was overlooked.

Parker Lodge

Parker Lodge Lobby

Our Guest Room

After we got settled in, we hopped on a golf cart and explored the property.  The farm sprawls across 3,500 acres, so there was PLENTY to explore.  We saw all kinds of wildlife while there - turkeys, deer, cows, even a bobcat!  They have entire fields devoted to bird hunting, a 5-stand shooting range, fishing lakes, and of course the gorgeous golf course.




Little Ava LOVED playing in the open fields!

After our exploration for the afternoon ended, we headed back inside and got ready for the Cadbury Chocolate Egg Class.  In this class, Chef Andrea Griffith taught us how to make the Easter favorite from scratch.  It was so fun!

Chef Griffith teaching the Cadbury Chocolate Egg Class

Brad hard at work

The results!

Next, we headed into the lodge lobby for appetizers & champagne before dinner.  A selection of cheeses, fruits and crackers was served, and we got the chance to mix and mingle before dinner time.

When 7:30PM rolled around, it was the time I'd been waiting for...Easter Evening Dinner!  We all gathered in the dining room and Chef Griffith came out to greet us and tell us about the meal.  In fact, she came out before every course and explained the selections, which I really loved.  The meal was phenomenal....seriously.  Course after delicious course was served, and each one was cooked to culinary perfection.  Here are some photos of our selections:

"A Celebration of Festive Bites"
This consisted of deviled eggs, and eggs with caviar.  


Farm-Fresh Truffled Scrambled Egg
Served with a grilled ham steak, pickled mushroom and garlic shoots.


Sweet Pea Soup
Served with pea tendrils, crispy Benton's ham, and clubhouse ricotta


Border Springs Lamb Loin
Served with roasted baby garden vegetables, arugula pesto and confit tomato


Easter Celebration Dessert
This was a tasting of assorted desserts, including:
1.  Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing and Spiced Pecans
2.  Toasted Coconut Cake with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
3.  Chocolate Peanut-Butter Egg with Dark Chocolate Cake, Peanut-Butter Mousse and Shaved White Chocolate


Needless to say, I was VERY glad that I went to dinner hungry and was able to enjoy this excellent meal to the fullest.  Dinner was served with wine pairings with each course.  We had Rosé with our appetizer, an exceptional Pinot Noir with the lamb loin, and a delicious Port with dessert.

After dinner, Chef Griffith took the time to sit down with me for a "Chef Chat."  Stay tuned for this interview in a follow up blog post!


The next day, guests were able to enjoy a 6:30AM Easter sunrise service, an Easter egg hunt and an Easter Brunch that once again proved that the folks at Pursell Farms know how to serve an incredible meal.  Chef Griffith was on-site making made-to-order omelets, and a huge spread of breakfast deliciousness greeted everyone.

Easter Brunch

The chefs whipping up omelet goodness!



After brunch, we made one last trip around the property, exploring and seeing all the sights.  We left with happy tummies, happy memories and happy smiles.  We will definitely visit Pursell Farms again (hopefully sooner rather than later).  It's our new favorite little hidden gem.

Thanks again to the staff at Pursell, for making sure that our weekend was picture-perfect!

Comments

Jill said…
My family was there for Easter brunch! First time I had ever been there...beautiful, and the food WAS delicious!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out